Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"8" is the Magic Age


My baby boy turned 8 last week! Bittersweet.

When we were diagnosed, we were told that 8 is the year that DMD boys begin to decline. Their muscles are not growing anymore, giving the appearance that the DMD might not be as bad as we were told. The ages of 6-7 are considered the honeymoon years, muscles are still growing and it really looks like they may be getting better. I have secretly thought that Ben may have Becker's MD, and not Duchenne. I know that it is wishful thinking. For those who don't know, Becker's Muscular Dystrophy is on the same gene, but is not as severe. Those with Becker MD live well into their mid to late adulthood.

There is some good news though. When we were diagnosed a little over 2 years ago, we were told that survival rate is in the late teens. As of today, that has increased to mid-to late 20's. Progress is being made, and I am thankful but I want more. I want a cure. I pray that it is found in time. So many boys have died waiting for better treatments and a cure to be found and my heart goes out to their families. It is heartbreaking every time I hear of another boy/young man who has lost the battle.

But I am living for today, enjoying our time and keeping those thoughts on the back burner and not the forefront of my mind. I don't want to have any regrets of worry or fear. I am still trusting God. I know that nothing will happen that He doesn't already know about and have complete faith that no matter what happens, God is in control.

Psalm 147: 3 He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.

Psalm 147:5 Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.

2 comments:

  1. I follow your blog and didn't realize our boys are that close in age! Brayden turned 8 on January 24th. Every birthday gets harder and harder and you are right...turning 8 was the hardest for me because the decline starts! Us moms need to stick together for support! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about each birthday getting harder...bittersweet. Thankfully, we are not seeing nearly as much decline as what we were first told. :)

      Delete