Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Fall is here!

Fall is my absolute favorite season.  I love the cooler weather, the colorful leaves, the crisp air, making soups and casseroles, fragrant candles, and a cozy home.  For me, it is a time to slow down and get into a routine.

Today, however, in my home state of Ohio, we are experiencing what is called Indian Summer.  Today it is almost 80 degrees.  We have a rule in our home that we can only play in the sprinkler if the outside temperature is 80.  It has been house the rule for years.

Ben was done with school early today and asked me if he could run through the sprinkler since it is sooo hot.  It was 73 when he asked.  I said no.  Pretty much because I just didn't feel like all the after-water-play-clean-up.  I told him, no, it is not 80 so no sprinkler.  Right when the words left my mouth, I realized that this could literally be the last opportunity he has to run though the sprinkler.  We are in Indian summer, the temps will drop again in the next few days and then winter will settle in.  6 months from now, the chances are high that he will not be running anymore.  How on earth could I deny him something so simple, for my own comfort or convenience? 

As I am sitting here, I am hearing laughter and the simple joys of childhood.  He is he trying his hardest and running laboriously through the sprinker; and he just informed me that he is freezing and can I please warm up the water.




No comments:

Post a Comment