Sunday, December 27, 2009

17,771

We received the results of one of Ben's blood tests a few days ago. Basically it was checking for something called "Creatine Kinase", a CK test. When the muscles break down, CK releases into the bloodstream, so when it is elevated, they know that there is some kind of problem with the muscles. The nurse was not sure what the "normal" range was, but from my findings, it seems to be somewhere in the range of 22 to 198 (some even say up to 400U/L). Ben's is 17,771.

The nurse said that since it is elevated, it indicated that yes, he has a muscle disorder, but the doctor is not saying what yet until that 2nd test comes back (around the 22nd). The 2nd blood test is looking for the specific gene and mutation, which will tell us exactly what he has.

I am surprisingly okay right now. I know that it is in the Lord's hands-as it was before we even knew anything. I also know that many prayers are going up for him and my family. It's funny, people ask me, "how is Ben doing?" Well, he is doing exactly the same as he was before November 28th. He doesn't feel any different and he doesn't really understand what is going on. He just knows he has been to the doctor's a few more times than normal.

He did have a problem the other day, saying the arch of his foot hurt-and he crawled around for a while. Again, this isn't totally abnormal for Ben. He did it a few times in the summer, his leg or foot would hurt and he would crawl or I would carry him (he is still rather small for a 5 year old). I asked the doctor about it at his last check up and at the time, there did not seem to be any concern. Now I am questioning everything!

Thank you again for the prayers, they are truly being felt! I will update again when our next test comes back.

No comments:

Post a Comment